Monday, July 29, 2013

We Never Stop Learning

 I love to meet artists and hear them talk about their work.  It is always personal and understated.  Artists speak of their own work as if what they do is normal.  Most of the time I can follow and ask an intelligent question or two.  I know what a pallet knife is,  I have used a pastel (although I stand in awe of Tim Peterson's work), I can follow the bronze process but last Wednesday I was COMPLETELY lost.  Tom Covel, an accomplished Blacksmith and Bladesmith from the Black Hills, brought his knives to the gallery.  He spoke of folding layers of steel, hammering it out and folding again, he talked of patterns in the steel and the shape of the blade.  I couldn't even come up with one intelligent question to ask so I just listened.  I listened to him talk about the process, the technique, the design and the practicality of the blades.  As I listened I made mental notes Damaskus,  drop point, hand-forged - I would google them all later- I realized that all I knew about these knives was that they are truly beautiful.  I was going to need a cheat sheet to remember all of the wonderful details of these knives.  Luckily Tom was aware of this and left information on each knife as well as beautiful certificates that explain the details of his knives. So stop in and see Tom's work and maybe learn something new too:)

No comments:

Post a Comment